RIBA Insight menu
- Monthly Briefing
- Meet the team
Call to QR action
Make way for the next 'big thing': QR codes. In a relatively short space of time they've jumped onto the marketing and advertising scene and, as Mobio's most recent figures suggest, they're really catching on.
QR (quick response) codes have been around for a while, but it really is only recently that they've started to cause a buzz among marketing experts. According to recently released figures from Mobio, during July to December of last year QR code scanning increased a massive 1,200%, probably due to a series of high profile marketing promotions that used the tool.
For those not in the know, QR codes are essentially two-dimensional (2D) matrix barcodes that can hold significantly more information than a traditional barcode.
Reading a QR code with a camera-enabled smartphone can link the user to digital content on the Internet, activate phone functions such as email, IM and SMS, or connect the mobile device to a web browser.
Here are a just a few ways in which QR codes can be used to engage consumers, build up social media followers, or simply provide a bit of fun:
- Bridge the gap between on- and offline marketing by including QR codes on marketing elements such as print ads, billboards, window displays, in-store signage and direct mail
- Expand product information and company information via QR codes on product packaging and literature
- Get customers on the telephone by creating a QR code that will automatically dial a predetermined number
- Adding a QR code to signage can give passers-by a peek inside a building under construction
- Put a QR code on your fleet of vans or company cars to grab the attention of mobile users stuck behind you in stationary traffic
- Publishers can use QR codes on book and magazine covers, linked to reviews
- Give access to your user manuals in a variety of languages via a QR code link.
Download a free QR code scanner app and try it yourself!
For more information about RIBA Insight advertising and marketing solutions, please complete our short further information form.
Sign up now for our FREE Monthly Briefing, featuring exclusive marketing advice, useful reports and the latest industry news.