RIBA Insight menu
‘What Specifiers Want’ – the must-read report for manufacturers
Building product manufacturers can access a free download of the latest survey into specifications from NBS, focusing directly on what specifiers now expect in 2017 and beyond.
NBS received over 500 responses to the survey, from a wide variety of roles and practice sizes, with 70 percent of respondents heavily involved in selecting and/or researching construction products during the specification process.
“It’s no understatement that this was possibly one of our most sought-after reports for manufacturers when we last ran it in 2012,” said Chief Executive of NBS Richard Waterhouse.
“The fact that we continue to receive requests from manufacturers to access the report, even in the subsequent years where we have seen a lot of changes within the industry, meant that we needed to update this information to reflect the changes in processes and attitudes towards creating specifications in this digital landscape.”
The report includes questions around what influences product selection, how important performance criteria is and when specifiers are considering products when writing specifications
Head of Research, Analysis and Forecasting at NBS, Adrian Malleson, said: “We know that specifications remain an essential document for the industry, and we know what issues specifiers continue to get frustrated with when it comes to this process.
“From the report, manufacturers can understand how they can help specifiers deal with the issue of product substitution, the top 10 factors they consider when specifying products and what support they’re looking for as we move towards a future of collaborative specifications.”
What’s in the report?
- An introduction from NBS and RIBA Insight CEO Richard Waterhouse
- A summary of the findings from the NBS Specification Survey
- A wide range of feature content, including:
- The importance of specification writing – Tina Pringle, Head of Technical Information, NBS
- The role of a specification in ensuring design intent – a manufacturer’s view – David Wigglesworth, Managing Director, SFS intec
- A designer’s view on specifications and the support they need – Malcolm Brown, Technical Director, FaulknerBrowns
- A selection of views from the industry
- Digitising manufacturers’ product data – Dr Stephen Hamil, Director of Research and Innovation, NBS
– Download the report (an NBS ID is required)
Webinar: ‘What do specifiers want from product manufacturers?’
Watch our free webinar to find out more about the research findings from Jenny Dobson, Market Research Co-ordinator, NBS.
Tuesday 4 July, 11am – 11.30am.
For more information about RIBA Insight advertising and marketing solutions, please complete our short further information form.
Sign up now for our FREE Monthly Briefing, featuring exclusive marketing advice, useful reports and the latest industry news.